This year for scoala altfel my school did the same thing as last year which was to create various weeklong workshops that the students could attend. The new one that was added this year was the “tourism” workshop, aka a 5 day field trip, which I decided to chaperone.
After arriving home from COS conference I had a day long break to detox and then had to repack my bags and head out for another week. We all met in front of the high school at 8am sharp on Monday morning where we loaded up the busses and headed to our adventure. Here is a list, by day, of all of the places we visited.
- Cluj city center
- Turda salt mine
- Turda Canyon
- Alba Iulia Citadel
- Hunedoara castle
- Prislop Monastery
- Targu Jiu (Kissing gate, Table of Silence, Infinity Column)
- Tismana Monastery
- Drobeta Turnu Severin
- Iron gates outside of Orsova
- Orsova (Danube boat cruise)
- (we also spent the night at a high school dorm in Orsova. Said dorm has a capacity of 700 students and only has 11 students currently living in it. The conditions we stayed in were laughable. Without warm water or heat, we made the most of our time there and the 40 students crowded into 3 rooms for warmth.
- Resita train museum
- Dacian/Roman museum and ruins in Sarmizegetusa
- Densus church which was constructed in the 3rd century
- (We stayed at the gymnastics high school that trains all of Romania’s gymnasts and where Nadia Comaneci trained)
- Deva Citadel
- Monastery – can’t remember the name
- Gold Museum in Brad
- Dinner in Cluj
We encountered some pretty bad weather at times, forgot a student after a stop, froze and almost got pneumonia, but all in all it was a fun trip and i’m happy I got to have a good time with my kids.